SR-22 Insurance in Jacksonville, FL

SR-22 Insurance policy is a policy for someone who has been convicted of a driving related offense. They are considered high risk by the state of Florida. To acquire an SR-22 Insurance Policy, a form must be submitted to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles by your insurance carrier. This form certifies to the state that you have coverage that meets the minimum liability requirements needed based on Florida Statute 324.321.

What Offenses Require A Florida SR-22 Insurance Certificate?

Any offense that results in you losing driving privileges will almost certainly require an SR-22 filing. Below we have listed a few of the most common offenses:

  • Being at fault in an accident while uninsured.

  • Inability to provide proof of insurance when being stopped for a violation.

  • Failure to meet your obligations in a court judgement that resulted from an accident you caused.

  • Convicted of a DUI/DWI. In these cases you may be required to obtain an FR-44 filing which is a much more stringent certificate.


Keeping Coverage

If you have been notified that you need an SR22 Insurance Policy, you MUST file your form with the state of Florida within 30 days of your notification.

As your policy renews, it is the driver’s responsibility to stay on top of the policy renewal throughout the term of the SR-22 policy, which is around 36 month from the date of your suspension. It is important to note the state does not notify drivers with an SR-22 certificate that a renewal date is fast approaching. If you fail to renew the certificate your driver’s license will be suspended.

Ways to Avoid License Suspension After An Accident

If you have been involved in an accident while uninsured it is possible to avoid suspension of your driver’s license. You must meet specific requirements however:

• You must pay any and all fines as a result of the accident.
• You must attain a qualified insurance policy and submit it to the state of Florida.
• You must agree to financial compensation with parties involved in the accident. This includes signatures from the involved parties confirming the agreement.
• These 3 items must be completed prior to the suspension date listed in the notice you received from the state.

Moving With An Existing SR-22 In To or Out of Florida

Whether you are in the process of moving to Florida or out of Florida, you are required to maintain the limits required in the state that enforced the SR22 fling.

In Florida the required SR-22 filing limits are:

  • $10,000 per person $20,000 per accident of Bodily Injury (BI) limits.
  • $10,000 of Property Damage (PD) liability for each incident
  • $10,000 of Personal Injury Protection (PIP) per person, per incident

If you are in the process of travelling out of state and you cause an accident, you will need your insurance agency to certify in writing that your current insurance policy (out of state policy) is in compliance with the minimum liability requirements. If you fail to certify your policy can lead to suspension of your driving privileges.

The purpose of an SR-22 certificate is to provide Floridian’s reassurance that everyone on the road has insurance coverage that meets the state’s requirements. For those individuals who are high risk who are unwilling to comply with the state’s requirements, will be forced to acquire adequate insurance (SR-22) by the state or they will lose their driving privilege.  

If you have recently lost your driving privilege and need assistance filing for an SR-22 in Jacksonville contact John Beck Insurance. We specialize in SR-22 and FR-44 filings. One of our insurance agents is here to assist you now. 

2 Types of SR-22 Insurance Certificates

There are 2 types of SR-22 Certificates available in the state of Florida. Prior to acquiring any insurance you should speak with your Jacksonville insurance agent in order to determine which certificate you will need based on your personal circumstances.


This covers liability for any and all vehicles owned by the insured driver that is listed on your policy, regardless of whether or not he/she drives the car.


If the insured driver does not own the car they are driving, rather driving a vehicle owned by someone else. This is called a Non-Owners policy.

Call Us Today at (904) 721-3129

Let us shop for you! Over 50 different insurance companies that can SAVE you thousands of dollars!
NO long online applications to fill out. Call us to speak to a live person and get a quote less than five minutes. It's FREE!